A Must in Today’s Retail Environment
A Consumer Products Manufacturer will not maximize its customer relationship return on investment without a formal Customer Alignment Strategy and Plan. Considering the continuing shift of the cost burden from the retailer to the supplier, combined with the growing power of the retailer, the store and the shopper, a disciplined approach to the management of customer relationships is essential. In this environment there must be:
- A customer alignment strategy that aligns with the corporate strategic plan.
- An alignment of brand strategies and tactics with those of the customer.
- A value proposition that creates competitive advantage.
- Resource allocation guidelines that are aligned with the size of the opportunity and anticipated return on investment.
Consumer products manufacturers who do not address this issue will experience an increasing gap between customer relationship desired outcomes and actual results. Going forward, the development of a formal customer relationship strategy and plan should be a priority.
Strategic Customer Alignment Model
WWA’s Strategic Customer Alignment Model is a comprehensive approach to how an organization defines, aligns and manages their customer relationships to drive profitable growth
Channel Strategies are an Important Consideration
When determining the Customer Alignment Strategy, the first step in the Customer Alignment Model, it is important to consider the growth potential and relative importance of categories and brands by trade channel.
Four Components define WWA’s Channel Strategy
and Plan Development Model
Strategic Customer Alignment
- Accelerates transformation from transactional selling to strategic customer development
- Ensures alignment of CPG brand and retailer objectives, strategies and tactics
- Prioritizes strategies and tactics for capability development and resource allocation
- Aligns allocation of resources with customer segmentation
- Establishes the parameters for cross functional alignment and collaboration
- Enhances probability of achieving acceptable shopper insights, shopper merchandising and shopper marketing ROI
- Enables decision making to be placed closer to the customer
- Guides the customer strategic and annual planning process
What We Do
Our role with clients includes:
- Assess those environmental factors and internal capabilities that provide the strategic foundation.
- Develop the Customer Alignment Strategy: strategic initiatives, go-to-market “value added” offering, required improvement initiatives and implementation plan.
- Realign the organization where appropriate.
- Develop customer alignment processes.
- Develop and implement the customer/retailer segmentation process.
- Develop channel go-to-market strategies.
- Develop and implement skills development strategy and plan.
- Develop customer communication vehicles
Our Experience and Expertise
We have developed Customer Alignment Strategies and Plans for dozens of consumer products manufacturer clients ranging from $300 million to over $6 billion in sales. Our extensive operating and consulting experience with both consumer products manufacturers and retailers ensures solution’s that will drive maximum leverage and return on investment for resources deployed across channels and customers. The strategic clarity resulting from the work has driven enhanced performance for our clients in the short run as well as the long term.